What you need to know about varicose veins
While it is said that varicose veins generally do not cause any serious problems, in some cases, varicose veins can lead to serious health issues.
If varicose and spider veins don’t produce any physical symptoms that make it hard for the individual to live a normal life, it is not always necessary. When the varicose or spider veins produce severe symptoms, such as ulcers on the skin, thrombophlebitis and bleeding, treatment should always be considered.
At Ashbury Cosmetic Surgeries in Brisbane, Mt Gravatt, Windsor, Indooroopilly and Gold Coast, we offer a range of innovative, effective and safe treatments for the removal of varicose veins, to restore your confidence and maintain your health..
Let’s take a closer look at the symptoms that require professional treatment
- Trombophlebitis: Poor circulation associated with varicose veins can result in clot formations in deeper veins. Symptoms include skin redness; a firm, tender, warm vein; and sometimes pain and swelling. If these clots break off, they can travel to the lung and cause serious problems such as pulmonary embolism (heart blockage).
- Bleeding: The skin over the veins becomes thin and easily injured. When an injury occurs, there can be significant blood loss.
- Sores or skin ulcers due to chronic (long-term) backing up of blood. These sores or ulcers are painful and hard to heal. Sometimes they cannot heal until the backward blood flow in the vein is repaired.
- Fungal infections: When extensive varicose veins hinder the circulation in your legs, you can develop Edema—swelling caused by resulting fluid build-up. When this condition exists, you are more at risk for fungal and bacterial infections of the surrounding tissue and area.
- Deep vein thrombosis, which is a blood clot in a deeper vein. It can cause a “pulling” feeling in the calf, pain, warmth, redness, and swelling. However, sometimes it causes no significant symptoms. If the blood clot travels to the lungs, it can be fatal.
How do varicose veins develop?
The veins in your legs have one-way valves that keep the blood flowing up from your legs toward your heart; this action prevents blood from pooling in one place. When these valves fail, blood pools in one area, causing increased pressure on the valves that result in the development of varicose veins. Genetic predisposition and lifestyle factors are the two primary reasons for the development of varicose veins.
- Heredity reasons
- standing for many hours at a time
- Sun exposure
When should I seek professional advice?
At Ashbury Cosmetic Surgery’s we advise our patients to visit us for a professional examination if:
- The vein has become swollen, red, or very tender or warm to the touch
- There are sores or a rash on the leg or near the ankle
- The skin on the ankle and calf becomes thick and changes colour
- One of the varicose veins begins to bleed
- The appearance of the veins is causing you distress
Same-day treatment for the removal of varicose veins
Our highly skilled and caring team here at Ashbury Cosmetic Surgery in Brisbane, Mt Gravatt, Windsor, Indooroopilly and Gold Coast can help you get the treatment you need when it comes to the removal of your varicose veins, safely and effectively. We employ the latest and most popular treatment methods which are virtually painless and swift enough to enable you to go home the same day. With these new treatments, you no longer have to endure visits to the medical centre; rather you can visit one of our comforting and tranquil clinics. It is important to visit us here at our clinic for a proper consultation so that we can establish the cause of the problem and prescribe the most appropriate treatment for you.
For more information about our varicose veins surgery or to book an appointment please don’t hesitate to call 07 3857 6188 or contact us online.